PvE - Gold/hour

Moderators: DND Moderators

• Post Details
    Author

PvE - Gold/hour

Postby Vergilius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 am

Hi guys,

I've been noticing the insane (to me) amounts of gold some people seem to be able to farm. So far I've only been able to farm the easy mobs, both here and in old DFO. Even with all stats 50+, R40 weapons, decent melee/archer skills I still keep dying (or not able to clear spawn) to Gray Orks, Wolf Revenants and other 'medium' mobs. My aim for archery is quite ok, I'm familiar with kiting, use food and transfer a lot.

I'm hoping we can use this thread to share tips on PvE farming. Spawns, methods, specific gear / weaponry. Everything related to doing PvE is welcome here. I'm not looking for that one secret spawn which makes you millions, just general setups that ppl use and how much they make in terms of gold per hour.

Example would be: ::removed trolls example::

Valid example: Akathar / Windlord spawn south-west of Dagnamyr. Can go in cheap gear (all studded). Bring 100 arrows to get the initial mobspawn going, r20 bow is more than enough. Use R30 knives, they drop from the mobs. Arrow down a few mobs, then melee every mob with knives. If available, use lightning self-buff, cause thats most of their dmg.
Gold/hour: 7k (incl reagents, keys)

I'm mostly looking for better gold/hour spots than I have now, which is roughly 1k/hour on spawns like Trolls, Ciel Fey Forester, Mercian Highwayman.
Vergilius
Retired Member

I'm currently playing: Darkfall: New Dawn

Re: PvE - Gold/hour

Postby Aurie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 am

Vergilius wrote:
I'm mostly looking for better gold/hour spots than I have now, which is roughly 10k/hour on spawns like Trolls, Ciel Fey Forester, Mercian Highwayman.

How do you average 10k/hour on trolls? I only manage about 1.2k at best!!

Aurie
Aurie
Lux Game Moderator

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified
I'm currently playing: Darkfall: New DawnElder Scrolls Online

Postby Vorax » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:48 am

Velmuna dungeon farming still a thing?
Vorax
Lux Guild Member

I'm currently playing: Star Citizen

Postby Maejohl » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:08 am

Vorax wrote:Velmuna dungeon farming still a thing?

No - thankfully the devs have shut down most of the exploitable spawns.
---
Darkfall: New Dawn - Leader
Maejohl
Lux Game Moderator
Awards: 1
Leader (1)
Divine Chest (1) Beer (11)

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified

Postby Vergilius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 am

Aurelle wrote:
Vergilius wrote:
I'm mostly looking for better gold/hour spots than I have now, which is roughly 10k/hour on spawns like Trolls, Ciel Fey Forester, Mercian Highwayman.

See the part that I made bold: making this up ;) It was an example and not very valid. I'll edit the example into something valid now :)

::edit:: oh and the 10k at the end of the post was a typo :/ should've been 1k/h... sorry!
Vergilius
Retired Member

Postby dunnin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:16 am

At your stage I believe that everyone had been struggling for gold including me. Atm I make more gold than I can spend, but at your lvl things are still pretty tough!
Best course of action is this:
First of all meditate dexterity and farm all mobs with the bow. In a few days your capability of farming will be much better, especially after you take sharpshooter.
Second, gold isn't everything! Runes, enchant mats, keys, maps can give you tons of gold that mobs themselves cannot. So start thinking of the total value of what you loot, not just the gold because those mats are easy gold in large quantities.
Third, pve needs a system, at each mob spot you must find a way to farm the mobs one by one, need as little stat up time as possible and loot fast. You usually take advantage of the terrain (like big rocks) and the limit of the spot (mobs can't go beyond that limit, they turn back and you can do high damage as they retreat.
Fourth, choose mob spawns close to your bank to limit the travel time.
Fifth, mark runes everywhere so you can go farming and farm what people need. For example I made tons of gold by farming khamsets at Ruby, because people don't do it and they pay lot's to get a cobra staff. Plus the neithal keys, maps, runes I made made me quite rich at some point!
dunnin
Game Moderator

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified
I'm currently playing: DarkfallDarkfall: New Dawn

Postby Zerk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:20 am

Aurelle wrote:
Vergilius wrote:

I'm assuming the 10k means including regs :) trolls might be a 15-30 gold drop but with up to 100 gold in regs.
Zerk
Lux Guild Member

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified

Postby Vergilius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:21 am

dunnin wrote:At your stage I believe that everyone had been struggling for gold including me. Atm I make more gold than I can spend, but at your lvl things are still pretty tough!
Best course of action is this:
First of all meditate dexterity and farm all mobs with the bow. In a few days your capability of farming will be much better, especially after you take sharpshooter.
Second, gold isn't everything! Runes, enchant mats, keys, maps can give you tons of gold that mobs themselves cannot. So start thinking of the total value of what you loot, not just the gold because those mats are easy gold in large quantities.
Third, pve needs a system, at each mob spot you must find a way to farm the mobs one by one, need as little stat up time as possible and loot fast. You usually take advantage of the terrain (like big rocks) and the limit of the spot (mobs can't go beyond that limit, they turn back and you can do high damage as they retreat.
Fourth, choose mob spawns close to your bank to limit the travel time.
Fifth, mark runes everywhere so you can go farming and farm what people need. For example I made tons of gold by farming khamsets at Ruby, because people don't do it and they pay lot's to get a cobra staff. Plus the neithal keys, maps, runes I made made me quite rich at some point!

Thanks for the tips. I do calculate other drops into the gold/hour when possible.
Maybe I should focus a bit more on the archery as you say. Currently nearing 50 archery :)
As for your 3rd point, the system, I think that's a bit what I was aiming for in terms of examples :) What gear is needed, how do you kill the mobs etc.
Vergilius
Retired Member

Postby Vorax » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:27 am

Maejohl wrote:
Vorax wrote:Velmuna dungeon farming still a thing?

No - thankfully the devs have shut down most of the exploitable spawns.

Nice to read they where on the ball with that. It did make me my fortune back in the day:) That and niff.
Vorax
Lux Guild Member

I'm currently playing: Star Citizen

Postby Aydin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:48 pm

One of the best things for new players to do in the quests as just by doing the main quests and gathering gold from the mobs that you kill you will have in the region of 100k gold.
Aydin
Lux Guild Elder

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified

Postby Asterix » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 pm

I hit 150k gold earlier last week, I don't play mage so I don't use that many regs, and I farm most of them (except mandrake). Hivekin drops resin and steed, trolls drop sulfur and bones, many caster mobs drop a bit of each.

I also had about 1k ingots as I used to mine 3-5 nodes a day around Dagnamyr, which I used to get myself some decent arrmors and weapons.

So basically the gold had been stacking in my bank, as very few get out.

As for getting gold, quests are good (get 10 alignement), daily dungeons quests are even better, especially if you get a veilron/neithal key on the way and use it in the same dungeon before you go back. There is a dwarf dungeon in the northern dwarf town that usually gets me 8k for a 20 mins daily run.

As for which mobs drop a lot of gold, menhirs are probably the best and easiest as then have no range attacks and are quite vulnerable to arrows. Most menhirs custodians spawns are easy solo. Even gray orks can give you a lot (around 8k and hours + arrows).

But really the secret is to try to spend as few as possible, don't buy arrows, regs, cheap stuff, just farm them.
Asterix
Retired Member

Postby Boomus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 am

Asterix wrote: There is a dwarf dungeon in the northern dwarf town that usually gets me 8k for a 20 mins daily run.

I would like to know the name, address and location of that dungeon.. This is easily over 5x my gold-making-capacity, if I try hard.

Dungeon in a town? Or close to? I can find two dungeons in Northern Dorfland on the darkfall-info map, Svartvann and Otredale. Is it one of these?
Boomus
Lux Guild Member

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified

Postby CptFlame » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:58 am

Yo,

so here's a remake of the long answer i made wich never got posted.

It was long because i stated a few principles and then tried to give an example of a character progression (from my perspective and memory/experience).
Also there wasn't any answer on the thread yet so i may repeat some stuff people said here already (too lazy to read :p).

1rst of all the approach used to farm monsters will differ from a mage to a destro / archer as well as what your goal is, but overall, when farming solo, you kinda want to aggro monsters 1 by 1 from the edge of the spawn.
In most cases you will want to lower its health from distance with archery or magic, then either finish it at distance or with a few melee hits.
Unless of course you specifically aim at leveling your melee skill, in wich case you iwll pick specific monsters.
When in duo or more, cross buffs and distance, or A buffer/healer and 1 guy in melee, are the common approach.

A few things that apply to most loot/xp/gear based game are :
The higher the risk the better the reward (cf MrBiggo "Just kill fire dragon").
The better your gear and skills, the easier it gets.
Captain obvious at your service.

Another simple truth in Darkfall is the fact that it gets exponentially more efficient to farm with mates.
Depending on what you farm, in duo or trio you can double or even triple your income per hour.

That being said, you can easily understand how trolls wont get you very far.
They drop laughable gold and a few reags, they die in 3 hits...
Those are monster you wanna farm with r0 / r10 wpns at the early stages of your character's life.

Then you want to quickly progress towards a higher difficulty.
I kinda see chest keys as a good difficulty jauge.
A good thing to realise is that in any dongeon/place that have a chest (veilron, neithal etc..), the monster guarding the chest will drop keys for that very chest. so those are great farming spots.

- Early on you can kiss goodbye to any monster that drop selentine keys.
Those are like trolls, you farm them at the very early stages.

- The natural follow up are monsters that drop veilron keys.
A good example would be the gray ork spawn north of Dagnamyr. Probably the most farmed spot in the clan during the last months.
They drop decent gold, a few gear and some r30 and r40 weapons and bows, that will come handy, allowing your dps to match the difficulty of the spawn.
Ofc if you farm with magic, your dps will raise a later, when your spells start leveling up.
Also if you farm with magic, don't expect your stack of gold to grow much at this point (reagent cost).
An alternative would be monsters that drop a few reagents along with golds. Svartveignir (or something) mages for exampe..
Gray orks hit hard in melee and are decent archers, you want to aggro 1 by 1 from the edge and hit them at distance.

- Then you can go use your keys.
As a follow up around dagnamyr, you can go in the sarlid dongeon West of Dag (preferably with a mate) and do the quest while you wait for your chest's timer.
Alternatively you can go east of Maghnir (closest dwarf NPC, north of dag), there's a dongeon with Svartveiragniagnia, it's very easy, only 4 monsters to kill, a chest and the exit room.
You can stay in the exit room to farm the monsters from the chest room safely, or just wait for your timer if you're lazy.

- the natural follow up are monsters with neithal keys.
Ghosts and elfshades around Dag are a good example, and some mages say they're even easier than Gray orks (cf MrBiggo "just kill Erodan, it's good"). Wich means you could try to skip the previous steps.
Of course it's still a hard spot.
Ghosts use cold magic and teleport away if you're too close.
Elshades use air magic.
Again, aggro 1 by 1 from the edge and kill at distance.

- Then eventually you can do your keys in a neithal dongeon.
The Iklit dongeon north of Dag has a great daily quest that you wanna do with a mate or 2.
Or you can simply crouch to the chest once passed the spiders. (being carefull still :p)
Iklits can only be killed in melee, so you need a buffer / healer and again, aggro them 1 by 1 from the edge of the spawn. Usually at the end of the room, near the exit.
3 players would be a safe number (and fast exit a good strategy if load lags appear :p)
Alternatively there's a similar dongeon in alfar lands in wich the iklit spawn has been deactivated...
So it's free chest. You didn't hear it from me.

- In my opinion at this point one of the best way to make fast gold is to farm a dongeon with a mate.
Would it be a veilron one or a neithal one.
The other day with friend Asterix we were doing something like 25k / hour, including the veilron keys (i had some on me but we looted more of them in the dongeon, so in the end i went out with even more keys on me)
And we had fun cause we found some pvp at some point and it turned in our favor. (PVP will happen anyways, it's darkfall)

- A good continuation would be a vacation on cairn.
This Island makes me think of the island where Ikki in St Seiya grew up (yeah I know, my wasted childhood watching those anime).
It's a pain in the ass but you come back so much stronger.
There you can take your chances angainst Minotaurs and Cairn Giants (in that order).
Those are very fun and challenging monsters that hit very hard in melee and harrass you at distance.
Minotaurs will use magic (Ait , cold, fire, depending on their type) and cairn giants will throw stings at you.
Cairn giants are the hardest of both, and they drop better stuff (a bit of everything, from r50 wpns, leenspar keys to stone).
Minotaurs are a bit easier and can dop steedgrass, portals, reagents, neithal keys..)
Again (and again), aggro 1 by 1 from the edge and kill at distance if solo.
There you can also do the Minotaur King (along with a few minotaurs) with some mates.
It drops Goldorak's helmet (yes you heard me).

- An alternative to everything :
once you reach 50 greater magic, you buy earth, acid arrow, and go on yssam, west of Tolenque there's a Menhir spawn on a Pyramid with 4 or 5 floors.
Those monster's IA is weak and they will always take the stairs to go from a floor to another.
You on the othe hand are not limited to the stairs. you can use that to your advantage and switch floors when they come too close. Then just use acid arrow and acid weakness.
They drop 450-900 golds...
Not sure it's considered an exploit. I sent a gm_help to tell about it once, but got no answer at the time.
I havn't overexploited this technique tho.
If you're enough of a robot you will end up overburden with golds and eventually will reach intensify earth...

- Now for big loots and shiny tingling eyes.
On yssam you can do Baradron (drops 2k to 9k gold, leenspar keys, maps etc..), it's a forest golem on steroids, weak to cold damage naturally, but killable with your main DPS source.
Keep your distance, use the trees to hide and heal, or go with a mate.
It deals acid damage.
You can do any of the golems (selentine, veilron, neithal, leenspar) with either acid arrow or air magic (the lvl 1 air bolt, cheapest spell of the game in term of reagent cost), or archery, or your main dps magic.
For leenspar, better be with a mate.
There's also the black dragon that you wanna do with a mate or two, 1 buffer/healer and 1 in melee, preferably a 3rd in the back but it's doable with 2 players.
Of course you're on Yssam so expect some pvp...

-North of Cbay there' a leenspar dongeon with menhir sentinels inside.
Those are tough monsters but they drop r60 weapons, golds and leenspar keys.
Go with a mate, buffer/healer and melee.

- Then you can also form a 5-6 players party (or more) and go kill the fire dragon on 1 of the 3 island he spawns at.
Use r50 (min) bows, and debuffs (piercing debuff, arrow debuff, and undeath in necro magic to negate its regen).

- In the center of the map, there are all your remaining friends and a dongeon with a princess inside.
And inside the princess there's a... wait no.

Now check on the maps available on the net to find dongeons and notes about what monster awaits you inside.
difficulty will vary if the dongeon has a quest or not, but overall their hardness depends on the chest level.
So you're pretty safe solo in a veilron dongeon, especially if it's a bit far or hard to access.

As a conclusion, I'd say, the key is to increase the difficulty as soon as possible.
Stop using r40 wpns, r50 seems expensive as long as you keep farming monsters than can be killed fast enough with r40's.
As soon as you pull out a r50 to farm, things get so much easier that your investment seems laughable.
Very quickly you'll become financially able to pull r50 all the time.
The same goes for armour and resistances.
Reward > risk

Of course if you're a good Pvp'er you can just roam and murder everyone, it seems to be the most profitable play.
(I cant tell tho..)

for a more deatiled answer, you can buy my book, available soon...

Allez salut !
CptFlame
---

Postby Asterix » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Boomus wrote:
Asterix wrote: There is a dwarf dungeon in the northern dwarf town that usually gets me 8k for a 20 mins daily run.

I would like to know the name, address and location of that dungeon.. This is easily over 5x my gold-making-capacity, if I try hard.

Dungeon in a town? Or close to? I can find two dungeons in Northern Dorfland on the darkfall-info map, Svartvann and Otredale. Is it one of these?

It is Otredale (Svartvann doesn't have a quest). Note that to get the 8k you need to drop a veilron key and use it in the dungeon (dodge the windgraives and run to the chest). Else you'll get around 5k with mob drops and the quest, and also a lot of med points.

Captain has good suggestions too, higher level, note that he doesn't mention getting ganked which happens a lot on the profitable spawns. :p
Asterix
Retired Member

Postby Aurie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 pm

CptFlame wrote:
so here's a remake of the long answer i made wich never got posted.

Thanks for the detailed post, Captain.

It's definitely worth the ball-ache re-write :D

Aurie
Aurie
Lux Game Moderator

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified
I'm currently playing: Darkfall: New DawnElder Scrolls Online

Postby CptFlame » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Asterix wrote:Captain has good suggestions too, higher level, note that he doesn't mention getting ganked which happens a lot on the profitable spawns. :p

Well I say "expect some pvp", in most cases it means, "expect to lose your shit from time to time" :p

but i believe in you, you can win this !
CptFlame
---

Postby Boomus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks for the awesome rewrite Captain :)
Love the guest role of MrBiggo, and the extensive explanations on all items.
I remember the menhir guys, and killing them with Acid Arrow. Used to do that to the ones in the crack near Quarandel.
I think they are weak to lightning. Which would indeed be cheaper on regs.
Anyone know what their weakness is? Don't have any of the elemental magic schools yet, would like to buy the right one first.

Also thank you Asterix, for the dungeon hint. I may try some more spawns here on Yssam, until I find a runestone as my way back to Dorfland.

Or go for a swim.. and buy the magic school stuff..
Boomus
Lux Guild Member

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified

Postby Scarlet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:13 pm

My number one tip is to use Transmuted Weapons / Bows if you're melee / archery. It cuts down time to kill a LOT. Just use Zerk's mob weakness table (linked somewhere here on the forums) to see what they're weak to.

I've also been using Indestructible (some may scoff at this, but i find it useful) as it makes it really easy to farm magic wielding mobs like Ghosts (good for Gold) and Air Elementals (which drop 10-25 of 3-4 regs each kill: good for regs).

I've easily made 3k gold / hour by doing the Hobgoblin daily quest from the wilderness bank south of the elf city 'Adianthel' and then going to the underground Hobgoblin spawn almost due east of there (entrance by the crescent lake). You'll get 1.5k gold, 1.5k gold from the quest (if you kill a lot of mobs) and some R40 weapons and bows.

Lastly, I chose Greataxe because the power attack will reduce all melee protections of the target by c. -5 which further decreases my time to kill.
Scarlet
Lux Guild Member

Postby Boomus » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:01 am

Combining the transmutes, with the dungeon idea..
The undead dwarf mobs, are they also affected by the anti-dwarf transmute?
Boomus
Lux Guild Member

Main Character:
Unspecified
(Male)
Unspecified

Postby Asterix » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:17 pm

There is no antidwarf transmut, it's an enchant, transmutations are elemental only (except for staffs who can have school transmute). Undead dwarves are vulnerable to fire and acid.
Asterix
Retired Member

Postby CptFlame » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Boomus wrote:I remember the menhir guys, and killing them with Acid Arrow. Used to do that to the ones in the crack near Quarandel.
I think they are weak to lightning. Which would indeed be cheaper on regs.
Anyone know what their weakness is?

Selia Red Told me they were weak to acid, so i verified by trying all elements on them.
They are indeed weak to acid.
So you can use a transmuted bow for example.
CptFlame
---

Return to Darkfall New Dawn