Old computer worth an upgrade?

Moderators: Lux Admin Council

• Post Details
    Author

Old computer worth an upgrade?

Postby Beornin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:30 pm

My 2012 computer has served me well, but it's starting to show signs of age now. Some parts are rather robust though, so wondering if I could make it live a few years by just getting a decent GPU like a 1070. Not sure if it's worth putting a 1080 or a 1080ti in it. Probably getting another SSD, as it's a bit annoying having to install and uninstall games to keep both OS and games on the 240GB. Also think the actual capacity of the SSD is a bit less now after 5 years of heavy use. not sure if new RAM would make much of a difference.

Any suggestions?

Specs:
ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, Socket-1155
Intel Core i7-3770K
ASUS GeForce GTX 690 4GB
4X Corsair XMS3 DDR3 200MHz 4GB CL9
Corsair AX 1200W PSU
Intel SSD 520 Series, 240GB
Corsair H100 cooler
Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Dell 27» U2711
BenQ 24» XL2420T
Awards: 10
Legend (2) Loyalty (3) Loyalty I (1) Officer (2) Leader (1)
Iron Chest (1)

I'm currently playing: Darkfall: New Dawn

Re: Old computer worth an upgrade?

Postby Pelleas » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 pm

When my previous system was at about the age of yours I added a new gpu. I went from a GTX 470 (I think) to a GTX 960. I noticed quite an improvement at the time and managed about another 18months good use from the system. My replacement for that old system is posted on this forum if you want a look. Just about to put Windows on an M2 SATA drive to free up all the SSD's that are currently in the system.
Pelleas
Lux Guild Elder
Awards: 23
Legend (2) Loyalty (2) Loyalty I (2) Loyalty II (1) Loyalty III (1) Officer (9) Leader (6)

Re: Old computer worth an upgrade?

Postby Beornin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks.

Had a look at the GPU-ranking list at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu ... ,4388.html

According to that list my 690 still only ranks 2 tiers below top of the line these days, so I'm going to try formatting the pc and installing win 10 to see if that changes things a bit. I do recall running BDO quite well a year ago, and have had worse performance lately, but also varying from month to month.
Awards: 10
Legend (2) Loyalty (3) Loyalty I (1) Officer (2) Leader (1)
Iron Chest (1)

I'm currently playing: Darkfall: New Dawn

Return to Technical Zone